September 1, 1816 A new lighthouse went into service on the Isle of May, which is approximately five miles (eight kilometers) off the coast of mainland Scotland. This lighthouse replaced one that was a coal-fired beacon built sometime during the 1630s. The original lighthouse was the first navigational aid on Scottish soil to be staffed... Continue Reading →

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑