October 22, 1946
Ground was broken at Chester Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, for the construction of a bus terminal to be exclusively used by the Greyhound Corporation. The terminal was built as a part of Greyhound’s strategy to set up its own nationwide network of distinctive bus stations in larger cities.
The Cleveland terminal – the first facilities constructed not long after the end of World War II and Greyhound’s most elaborate building up to that time – was created to serve as a Midwestern transit hub, complete with 21 bus docks. The construction of the terminal reflected Greyhound’s cross-country efforts to strengthen and sustain its hold on transit services and also underscored the rapid resurgence of the U.S. bus industry in the post-war era.
The facility was opened in March 1948 to great fanfare and hailed by the Cleveland News at that time as “The World’s Largest Bus Terminal.” The Cleveland terminal was designed by architect William Strudwick Arrasmith. During the course of his career, the prolific Arrasmith designed more than 60 bus stations for Greyhound.
With such key features as its curving forms and long horizontal lines, the terminal in Cleveland is widely considered to be a notable example of the Art Deco style known as Streamline Moderne. The terminal is generally referred to as the Cleveland Greyhound Bus Station, and it has become one of the city’s best-known landmarks. The facility is on the National Register of Historic Places.
For more information on the Cleveland Greyhound Bus Station, please check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_Bus_Station_(Cleveland,_Ohio).
Additional information about architect William Strudwick Arrasmith and the bus stations he designed is available at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Strudwick_Arrasmith.