March 23, 2013
A station of the Paris Métro rapid transit system made its debut near the town hall of Montrouge, a commune in the southern suburbs of France’s capital city. This station is formally known as Mairie de Montrouge (Town Hall of Montrouge), and it was the 302nd station of the Paris Métro to be inaugurated since that system’s launch in 1900. This station is also the southern terminus of Line 4 of the Paris Métro.
Mairie de Montrouge was opened with a great deal of fanfare. Those taking part in the early-afternoon dedication ceremony for the station included Frédéric Cuvillier France’s minister for transport and the maritime economy; Jean-Loup Metton, mayor of Montrouge; and Pierre Mongin, president and chief executive officer of the Paris-area public transport authority Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens (operator of the Paris Métro).
Along with being the southern endpoint for Paris Métro Line 4, Mairie de Montrouge was the first new station of that line in more than a century. The line, which encompasses 27 stations altogether, covers a total of 7.5 miles (12.1 kilometers). Porte de Clignancourt, the station serving as the northern terminus of Line 4, was opened in 1908.
Photo Credit: Fmjwiki (licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en)
For more information on Mairie de Montrouge, please check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mairie_de_Montrouge_(Paris_M%C3%A9tro)
Additional information on Paris Métro Line 4 is available at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_M%C3%A9tro_Line_4