February 9, 1809
The South Stack Lighthouse in the Irish Sea first went into service. This navigational aid is located on a stack, a geological landform consisting of steep columns of rock in the sea. South Stack is near the Welsh island of Anglesey, which is off the northwestern mainland coast of Wales.
The South Stack Lighthouse was designed by English architect and engineer Daniel Alexander (1768-1846). This 91-foot (28-meter)-tall stone tower was built to help safely guide ships through what has long been a treacherous section of the Irish Sea. The South Stack Lighthouse has the distinction of being the first beacon for eastbound vessels traveling in the vicinity of Anglesey.
This lighthouse has been automated since 1983. It is operated remotely by Trinity House, the London-based official authority for lighthouses in Wales, England, the Channel Islands, and the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar.
Photo Credit: Darren Glanville (licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/deed.en)
For more information on the South Stack Lighthouse, please check out https://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouses-and-lightvessels/south-stack-lighthouse and https://www.flickr.com/photos/zillniazi/9824495566/
Leave a Reply