December 29, 2009
A new terminal officially began operations at Carrasco/General Cesáreo L. Berisso International Airport in Uruguay’s capital city of Montevideo. This airport, which is the largest in Uruguay, was opened in 1947. It is located in the Montevideo barrio (neighborhood) of Carrasco.
The airport also bears the name of one of Uruguay’s leading aviation pioneers. The extensive accomplishments of Cesáreo L. Berisso (1887-1971) included creating the first airplane to be built in Uruguay and serving in the 1940s as that South American country’s director-general of military aeronautics. A monument to Berisso is located in front of the airport’s current terminal. In addition, a small museum highlighting his legacy is on the building’s terrace.
This terminal replaced the one that had been in existence at the airport since its inauguration six decades earlier. The new terminal, which was dedicated nearly three months before it actually went into service, was designed by Uruguayan architect Rafael Viñoly (1944- ). The facility has the capacity to handle three million passengers annually. Its parking area can accommodate approximately 1,200 vehicles. The terminal’s other features include four jetways; a large viewing area; and separate rooms for arrivals and departures.
Photo Credit: Andrés Franchi Ugartemendía (licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en)
For more information on Carrasco/General Césareo L. Berisso International Airport at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrasco_International_Airport
Leave a Reply