October 24, 1953
In the northern part of Chile, a lighthouse first went into service on a beach in the city and commune of La Serena. This lighthouse was officially inaugurated by Juan Cortés Alcayaga, mayor of La Serena.
The Monumental Lighthouse of La Serena (Faro Monumental de La Serena) was designed by Ramiro Pérez Arce. The engineer in charge of the construction of this lighthouse was Jorge Tanks Larenas.
The Monumental Lighthouse of La Serena remains in operation today. In 2010, it was registered on Chile’s National Heritage List.
Photo Credit: Alfonso Claps (licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en)
For more information on the Monumental Lighthouse of La Serena (Faro Monumental de La Serena), please check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighthouse_of_La_Serena
Additional information on the lighthouses of northern Chile is available at https://www.ibiblio.org/lighthouse/chln.htm