October 21, 1981
In southwestern Pennsylvania, the second and current Sewickley Bridge was officially opened at 10:00 a.m. This steel continuous truss bridge, spanning the Ohio River and linking the borough of Sewickley with Moon Township, carries Pennsylvania State Route 4025 and the portion of the Allegheny County Belt System (a group of limited-access county roads) known as the Orange Belt. The 1,500-foot (460-meter)-long Sewickley Bridge also has a pedestrian walkway.
The original structure at that location was a cantilever through truss bridge. It had been opened in 1911 and — due to deterioration brought on in large part by increasingly heavy traffic and a succession of rough winters — was closed once and for all in 1980.
Richard L. Thornburgh, governor of Pennsylvania from 1979 to 1987, presided over the dedication ceremony for the new bridge. A number of residents from local communities were also on hand for this grand opening.
The current bridge has many of the same dimensions as its predecessor, and the piers from the original structure were reused for the new one. In the year following its debut, the current Sewickley Bridge was honored by the American Institute of Steel Construction with a prize bridge award in the long span category. This bridge is maintained by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
Photo Credit: Public Domain (https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en)
For more information on both versions of the Sewickley Bridge, please check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewickley_Bridge