March 29, 2012
A cable-stayed bridge in Dallas, Texas, was formally opened to vehicular traffic, with a group of motorcyclists being among the first to travel across the new structure. This bridge was named after Margaret Hunt Hill (1915-2007), a longtime Dallas resident and renowned philanthropist.
The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge spans the Trinity River and serves as a link between the Wood Rodgers Freeway (Spur 366) in downtown Dallas and Singleton Boulevard in the western part of the city. This bridge, which has a total of six lanes for motor vehicles, is 1,206 feet (368 meters) in length. A key feature of the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge is its 400-foot (122-meter)-tall steel arch.
This bridge was built as part of a Dallas-based public works initiative known as the Trinity River Project. Construction on the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge began in December 2005. It was designed by Spanish architect and structural engineer Santiago Calatrava (born in 1951). In the year of its debut, the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge received both an Outstanding Civil Engineering Award from the Texas Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers; and the European Convention for Constructional Steelwork Award for Steel Bridges.
Photo Credit: Michael Barera (licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.en)
For more information on the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, please check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Hunt_Hill_Bridge