July 27, 1888
In Argentina’s province of Buenos Aires, a 32.9-mile (53-kilometer) extension of the horse-drawn Buenos Aires Central Railway between the cities of Pilar and Zárate was completed. This took place less than four months after the opening of the railway line’s first segment. That initial segment of 29.2 miles (47 kilometers) was built between Argentina’s capital city of Buenos Aires and Pilar. (While continuing to share the same name as the province of Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina was designated as an autonomous district and removed from that province’s jurisdiction in 1880.)
The origins of the Buenos Aires Central Railway can be traced to 1884, when Argentine businessman Federico Lacroze (1835-1899) was granted a concession to construct a train line linking the city of Buenos Aires with other parts of the country. Lacroze’s other notable contributions to public transit in Argentina included helping to develop the first tram system to operate in the city of Buenos Aires.
During the three decades following its debut, the Buenos Aires Central Railway was further extended to link Argentina’s capital with not only more communities within the province of Buenos Aires but also the city of 4 de Ferero in the neighboring province of Santa Fe. (The above photo of a Buenos Aires Central Railway train at the station in Zárate was taken in 1914.) This railway remained in service until 1948.
Photo Credit: Public Domain
For more information on the Buenos Aires Central Railway, please check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires_Central_Railway