February 13, 1901
In the Australian state of New South Wales (NSW), a timber truss bridge crossing Paterson River at the township of Hinton was officially opened. Hinton Bridge was designed by Irish-born Ernest de Burgh (1863-1929), the NSW Public Works Department’s assistant engineer for bridges. This road bridge replaced a steam ferry service in the area that had been transporting people from one side of the Paterson River to the other since 1898.
The 586-foot (178.6-meter)-long Hinton Bridge, which carries Hinton-Morpeth Road across Paterson River, is now maintained by the state agency Transport for NSW. In 2000, this bridge was added to the NSW State Historic Register.
Photo Credit: Public Domain
Additional information on Hinton Bridge over Paterson River is available at https://apps.environment.nsw.gov.au/dpcheritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=5051372
Leave a Reply