June 3, 1928
In Ohio, the city of Toledo became more fully integrated into the world of aviation with the establishment of a new airport. Toledo Municipal Airport was officially opened in a ceremony attended by approximately 30,000 to 50,000 individuals. The highlight of the ceremony took place when 14-year-old Nan Beth Jackson, the daughter of Toledo Mayor William T. Jackson, christened a National Air Transport plane named “Miss Toledo.” In addition on that same day, a Curtiss biplane carrying mail inaugurated service from the new airport with a flight to Cleveland, a distance of 116 miles (186.68 km).
The Glass City, as Toledo is popularly called due to one of its leading industries, would get a new and larger airport in 1955. Nonetheless, the original airport remains very much in use. The facility was renamed Metcalf Field in 1977 in honor of Thomas Metcalf, who owned the Metcalf Flying Service at the airport between 1930 and 1950 and served as Toledo’s first commissioner of aviation. The airport received another name in 2010 when it was redubbed Toledo Executive Airport.
Additional information on Toledo Municipal Airport (present-day Toledo Executive Airport) is available at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_Executive_Airport.
(Unfortunately, no pictures of the airport exist from that period, so you’ll have to make do with the picture of a Curtiss biplane on a beach.)